Monday, February 19, 2018

My New Start

This is my first apartment. It has a sauna (we don't have this back home), a clothes rack for drying and washing machine in the bathroom. Its crowded when mom has to wash clothes.


            
             
     


Some differences in my home in Jyvaskyla is that the dish rack is over the sink, closets are built in the wall, the refrigerator is small and bathrooms are right next to each other. Our place has good security with 2 doors. There are lots of people in the apartments and only 1 school. People walk, take the bus or ride bikes places.









School is awesome but the times table is hard. I'm in a 1st and 2nd grade class because the Finns start school at 7 years old. In the US we start at 5.  I had a hard time making friends because they were talking 
Finnish and I did not know what they were saying. And I play rough.


I get to walk to school by myself and I walk to aftercare with a few friends. My mom and dad drive me to school in Baltimore. I can't go anywhere alone.


 
In school we get to go down an ice slide and take our shoes off.  We take off our snow pants and put our stuff on hooks and racks. There are hills for skiing and an ice skating rink. We have free time outside in the snow 3 times a day. It is cold! But I have fun playing soccer with the big kids.







We barely have homework and we go to religion class. We have short school days. Its a half day everyday. Yes! In PE we snowboard, ski and skate. School starts and finishes at a different time everyday.

Some more differences in Finland:
1      There are large snow piles to play in!
2      The buses are better in Finland because they have a stroller stop button.
3      There are less people in Finland.
4      There are less strangers talking to you.
5  My mom uses a sled for my sisters. Not the stroller.





Random Pictures













15 comments:

  1. Good job with your blog TJ! Glad to see you and you mom and sisters are enjoying Finland!

    Ivan in B-more

    ReplyDelete
  2. TJ this BLOG is really great you have done a really good job. I am very proud of you and miss you very very much. Can wait to see you soon, you are already getting taller. :)

    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. TJ,
    Love seeing your perspective on life in Jyvaskyla! Glad you are having a good time here too.
    Everyday the days are getting longer. Yeah!
    See you soon.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great entry! I can only imagine making friends is tough in a place where they speak a different language. Write before I read it I thought TJ should play sports with them that will help him make friends and then you did! Great job! Can't wait for the next post. This looks like such an amazing and cold experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being the new kid is hard. When you were my age was it hard for you?

      Delete
  5. Tj! Another great entry. Keep them coming. I would love to hear about the food. So cool that you get do walk to school by yourself. Looks like you’re having a ball with your mom and sisters!

    You’re the best!


    Ms. Bradley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. I don't know some of the foods but the school soup is good.

      Delete
  6. This is awesome! Keep them coming :)

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  7. MAN! Look at all the fun your having in the snow. I wish we had some snow back home. Glad to see your enjoying it! Miss you, your sisters and your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Trevor. You have a very nice blog. I hope you enjoy your life in Finland. Spring and warm, sunny days are coming. You can play outside even in the middle of night (nights will be so light), if your mom allows you to do it :-)

    ReplyDelete